Friday, March 18, 2011

Its officially ours now!

Whew!  Glad that parts over, now we can finally get to work!  (can't believe that's me saying that)  We have a lot to do out there...for starters, we need to build a chicken coop because it appears we are getting some nearly grown birds (layers) this next week unless something comes up.  Either way we still have chicks coming in April so that coop is better to be built sooner rather than later.

We also need to seriously prune the fruiting trees.  There is a sour cherry, an apricot and five apples that all need work; at least two of the apples need to be cut down because they have some serious issues and they were all planted about 2 feet apart so they are way too crowded.  There are two grape vines, to which I have two young grapes to add that need pruning.  I picked up four blueberry bushes that need a space where we can amend the soil with acidifier and plant them; we have five other blueberry bushes that I have to decide if we are going to move or let fail at the 9 acre lot (its too alkaline at the lot for them).  I think on those we'll wait to see if they put out leaves since they are bare at the moment.  We also have all those other fruiting trees out there to consider moving; we are leaning toward leaving them out there though since they've been in the ground for two years.

Also soon, we need to get a garden started out there.  Currently there is not a tilled space for a garden and the most ideal place was flooded earlier this year so I'm debating if I want to brave it.  My understanding after talking to the sellers today is that it doesn't normally flood that high up.  There is another elevation that did not flood that we could put in a garden but it really chops up the yard so its not ideal either.

Around the house there are lots of bulbs and rhizomes peeking out from the leaf litter giving us clues as to what is under there.  We've been able to identify tulips, crocuses, daffodils, irises, coral bells and some day lilies.  I have a feeling once we clear out debris this place will really shine. 

I don't expect to be posting a lot in the next week with so much going on but if anything exciting happens I'll put it out there at least on facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Sounds awesome. I was just wondering how the new place is going for you. Can't wait to see all your progress.

    ReplyDelete