Saturday, March 2, 2013

Gained a goat.

I bought a dry yearling doe.  She's gorgeous (at least to me)!  I don't show goats so I don't know everything I should look for but she's very level on top and her face is very feminine.  Her dam has a lovely udder and she shares a great grandfather with my buck so they are distantly related.  She appeared to get bred the second day after she arrived with Sonny, so here's hoping come late July we have cute babies!  Oh and milk....lovely goat milk!

Meet Zada :)
In bringing home the lovely Zada, my buck Sonny is a changed goat.  He was extremely well bonded with my wethered goat, York, now he shoos York away.  He's so protective of Zada.  That's HIS girl.  I've never seen anything like it, but I would suspect in wild goat herds, males are driven out of the herd once they are of reproductive age.  York, obviously won't ever reproduce but Sonny doesn't know that.  Sonny is truly infatuated with Zada.  He follows her, protects her from York, lets her eat first.  It's cute.  He also picked up a whole new language.  I've heard him blubber before while he's in rut, but this is much more structured.  You can almost figure out what he's trying to convey.

Well, that's pretty much what's new.  I'm putting goose eggs in an incubator tomorrow that a friend was kind enough to lend to me.  The dog kept stealing the eggs so if I want goslings this year, it looks like this is how it's going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment