Monday, May 9, 2011

they look like small chickens now- 4 weeks old

another view

our pitiful sick little turkey, I'm keeping her isolated so she'll stay warm and hope she won't pass it on

the rest of the turkeys (nearly 4 weeks old)

Kissee wishing she could go out and play


grape vines waking up from their winter rest

irises

celery (I'll explain more below)



ducks

ducks and the tail end of our goose

I finally put up some more pictures!  All the babies are moved to the barn and are now or approaching 4 weeks old.  My husband is making tractors for them but for now they have a home in the barn.  The turkeys are taking liberties of flying out of their pen and exploring which is really cute and makes me nervous but I'm hoping that like most creatures, a little exposure to dirt and germs will make them healthier.  One little turkey is sick and I think its coccidiosis.  I've been treating all of their water since with ACV (apple cider vinegar) to help boost their immunity.  The same night we isolated the sick turkey, one of our geese (the chinese goose) unexpectedly died.  We can only presume it was stress since it had no symptoms.  So much for the possibility of a breeding pair of geese.

The goats have settled in great.  We finally put them out into the electric fenced pasture and at first they both would burst right through it.  I made one minor spacing adjustment and now they respect the fence.  They have spent the last several days out in pasture and I couldn't be happier since we don't have a reliable hay source yet and our hay field has yet to been cut.

Mother's day came and went.  I always find Mother's day a little difficult, even though I am a mother I still remember all the babies we've lost on the way to getting here and all those horrible not-yet-a-mother Mother's days of the years before our son came along.  It didn't help that on Facebook, some friends of mine were complaining about Mother's day, I just wanted to confront them and say "do you know what lengths I went to to become a mother?" but I didn't.  Everyone had their reasons to love or hate it and I guess I'll respect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment